Have you done machine quilting with specialty threads — such as glitter, metallic, and hologram threads? Here are some tips to try when you use these threads.
• Use a larger needle (unless it is a finer thread)
• Loosen the upper tension (and be sure bottom tension is properly set first)
• Use a longer stitch length
• Slow down the stitching speed
• Use the horizontal spool pin if the thread is on a spool
• Use fewer thread guides on the machine (i.e. on Handi Quilter machines, use only the top hole of the three-hole thread guide) to minimize stress on the thread
What works for you?