Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

In this Discussion

• MAO September 2011
  • Mindy September 2011

Bobbins

MAOMAO
edited September 2011 in Ask An HQ Expert
I have been having trouble with the tension on my Avante. No matter how loose the bobbin is, it still stitches too tight. If I tighten the top thread tight to stitch right, it breaks! Can the bobbin case be bad? I have gone through three bobbins of thread trying to figure this out. I've only had the Avante since June, beginning to wish I had my old reliable Sixteen back!!

Comments

• edited September 2011
    MAO,

I am sorry that you are having problems with your tension. Have you had problems with your bobbin since you first got you HQ18 Avante? Have you had problems with other types of thread?

When you are setting the tension in your bobbin case make sure you are using a full bobbin. You should be able to lift your bobbin case off your hand and without any additional movement of your hand it should slide down the thread like a spider on a web. As you pull the thread out of the bobbin it should pull smoothly.

It is possible that you bobbin could be bad especially if you accidently dropped it, it could be out of round. If it is no longer round, it would have to be replaced.

If this doesn't help you could call our customer service at 1-877-697-8458, M-F, 8-5 MDT.

Good Luck,

Cheryl Duncan
    Handi Quilter Studio Educator
  • Cheryl, thanks for the info. Yes, I've had some problems since getting the machine in June. Mostly small ones till now. Hopefully we have solved this one. Called my rep. on Monday morning and he suggested a new bobbin winder. The old one would only fill half full and then pretty lopsided at that. These new winders are really not very good. Maybe you need to find a better vender for these or sell the machines with a bobbin gauge "TOWA", which I plan on buying soon. Almost seems like every bobbin needs to be tweeked. Never ever had this problem with my old Sixteen. Never had to Tweek bobbin, no matter what thread I used. Anyway the tension mystery is solved. Thanks Again.