Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

In this Discussion

Occasional loops and nests

My HQ Avante makes beautiful stitches on top and bottom. I am using Glide thread on top and Glide magna pre-wound bobbins. My difficulty is that every now and then a loop or a birds nest will appear on the bottom. It seems to be very sporadic with unknown cause. Any suggestions.
Tagged:

Comments

• I just finished a quilt and when examining the loops and/or nests I noticed that it seems to follow a pattern. It seems to me these mishaps occur most when I change speed. I do ruler work which requires slowing down and speeding up quite often … I seldom move with a consistent speed as when doing free motion quilting.
  • Your expertise will be appreciated. What can I do to fix this situation. Many thanks in advance.
  • Your expertise will be appreciated. What can I do to fix this situation. Many thanks in advance.
  • Prairiequilter,

I am sorry that you are having problems with your tension. Make sure that your thread is flossed in the top tension disks. Try tightening your top tension slightly and see if that helps.

Try moving at a consistent speed especially as you are going around curves.

Please call our Education team at 1-877-697-8458, M-F, 9-5 MDT. We would love to help you solve this issue.

Best regards,

Cheryl Duncan
    Handi Quilter Studio Educator

• edited September 2016
    Is the HQ Avante not meant to vary the speed while quilting? Will the stitches only be really good at a consistent speed? If yes, can the speed be adjusted to accommodate a slow quilter?
  • Prairiequilter,

The HQ Avante can stitch at varying speeds from fast to slow.

The stitch regulator will keep your stitches the same size whether you are going slow or fast. However, if you stitch too fast you can out run the stitch regulator and then you would see longer stitches. Quilting slow is not a problem.

Sometimes when people go around a curve they tend to speed up quite a bit. This can pull the thread more than a normal straight stitch, especially if you are quilting slowly and then all of a sudden speed up. That's when it is important to keep a smooth flow.

When you are in Stitch Regulated mode with your Cruise turned on check your cruise speed. We like to have it set between 3 & 5 percent. This way when you start quilting the machine will start at a slow needle rotation and you don't need to start out fast.

If you have the machine in Precision the machine will not stitch until you move the machine.

Keep practicing and you will find that the more you practice your movements will become smooth and even.

If you have more questions please let us help you.

Best regards,

Cheryl Duncan
    Handi Quilter Studio Educator