Welcome Quilter!

It looks like you’re new here. If you want to get involved, click on “Apply for Membership”.

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

In this Discussion

Thread flying into take-up lever opening
  • When my top thread breaks due to tension issues, the thread flies into the take-up lever rectangular opening and winds tightly around a bar I see in the opening. I have to pick the thread out with tweezers and worry that some of the thread is still in the machine. Where does this thread go, and will it just sit inside my machine until I get the machine in for yearly service? By the time I notice the thread breaking ((especially when I'm at the back of the machine) it seems that this occurs. My dealer said she has never heard of this happening. Any feedback will be appreciated.
  • Terrina,

We have seen this happen before. Try and get all the thread out. If you have some small pieces fall down they will just go to the bottom of the machine and not cause any problems. When you take your machine in to be serviced they should clean out those random threads.

If you cannot remove the thread and it is causing problems with your stitching it may be caught in the gears. This would need to be removed by your local rep.

Good luck,

Cheryl Duncan
    Handi Quilter Studio Educator

• Is there any way to keep this from happening?
  • Terrina,

Try loosening your top tension, it may help prevent your thread from flipping into the slot. Also, try watching and stopping your machine sooner. If it breaks and you run the machine a while before you stop it has a greater chance of getting caught in the slot.

Good luck,

Cheryl Duncan
    Handi Quilter Studio Educator