Welcome Quilter!

It looks like you’re new here. If you want to get involved, click on “Apply for Membership”.

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

In this Discussion

Hopping Foot Locked down
  • Hi
    this has happened twice now, the hopper foot got caught in the edge of the quilt and despite acting quickly to switch off it stitched itself into the quilt. This caused the hopper foot to get stuck down. Both times it has had to have the side taken off the machine and the mechanism reset . An expensive job. I am concerned that even though our response was swift such a minor catch should cause such a problem. I don't understand why there is no automatic cut off. Has anyone else experienced this or am I the only one trying to quilt imperfect quilts?
    Thankfully on both occaisions little damage happened to the quilt, but I am almost ready to give up on the prostitcher because I feel it is not able to cope with what is essentially a routine demand of a sewing machine - stitching over a slightly bumpy surface. Both times the edges oif the quilt were already stitched down, but it just caught the edge.
    Any thoughts welcome
  • I've done many quilts and had that happen only a couple times early on but it never went to the extent of causing any sort of damage to the machine. I know some quilters turn the machine on and walk away, but I'm too chicken to leave mine unattended so maybe I've just been able to catch it early. I'm also right over it when it comes to the end of each row as that's when it's going back and forth over the edge. Now I baste the edges down about 1/8" from the edge and turn down that thick poly batt when customers bring it. That stuff is horrible for getting wrapped around the foot - Pro Stitcher or free-hand!
  • Threadsandpatches,

I am sorry that you have had this problem. When you are using the HQ Pro-Stitcher we recommend that you stitch the outter edges of your quilt down as close to the edge as possible, that way the hopping foot will not get caught in the edge of the quilt. You can also press the Emergency Stop button and the Pro-Stitcher should stop immediately. If you are using a thicker batting you can baste a piece of fabric over the batting so your hopping foot won't get caught. If you keep your design within the edges of the quilt you won't need to use the extra fabric.

I hope this helps. If you have any questions please feel free to contact the Education department at 1-877-697-8458,M-F, 8-5 MDT.

Good luck,

Cheryl Duncan
    Handi Quilter Studio Educator
  • I too wish that there was a "dead man switch". The emergency stop is not instant off and I have had the hopping foot sewn to the quilt top. Some times this happens if there is a loose seam in the middle of the quilt not just on the edges. Even though you have gone over the quilt every once in a while those pesky elves open up a seam in the middle of the quilt. "bad elves, bad elves" If on very rare occasions it would help just to cut the electricity but the off switch is at the back of the machine. Has anyone been able to run a switch to the front of the machine?