Welcome Quilter!

It looks like you’re new here. If you want to get involved, click on “Apply for Membership”.

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

In this Discussion

Horizontal spool pin
  • Is the horizontal spool pin just for exotic and fragile thread or any thread on a spool? I am having difficulty with top tension, I am using a spool of King Tut 40 wt. thread and the top tension will not behave. I have tried everything and the spool pin is the only thing that is left. I have adjusted the bobbin its perfect and the top tension is also perfect I have cleaned the machine I have loosened the quilt top. I can find anything else to try. I have checked the threading and flossing I have changed the needle, I cant thing of anything else to try. Any suggestions would be apprecited.
  • Solvai,

I am sorry you are having problems with your tension. Some people will use the horizontal spool pin when they are using spools of thread.

We need a little more information on what your tension is doing. How does it look? How is your bobbin tension set, is it a little tight or is it loose? Can you see your top thread around the tension disks or is it in between the two disks?

Please call us at 1-877-697-8458, M-F, 8-5 MDT. and ask for Education. We would like to help you figure out what is happening.

Thank you,

Cheryl Duncan
    Handi Quilter Studio Educator
  • I have done the bobbin tension test as illustrated on the video and I have the Towa guage which reads the correct number for the thread in the bobbin. The top thread looks loose enough and I have flossed the thread between the tension discs as illustrated on the video I also have the top tension guage in place. I have rethreaded a couple of times.
  • I am using Omni thread in the bobbin.
  • Solvai,

Please call our Education department at 1-877-697-8458, M-F, 8-5 MDT. We would like to speak with you about your tension problems.

Thank you,

Cheryl Duncan
    Handi Quilter Studio Educator
  • Thank you Cheryl. I think I fixed my problem and in the process learned a lot about the top tension. I dialed the top tension very tight and then backed it off in small incrementsI I knew the bobbin tension was correct because I followed the steps as see on the youtube videos. So, thanks again for your help. Solvai