Welcome Quilter!

It looks like you’re new here. If you want to get involved, click on “Apply for Membership”.

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

In this Discussion

HQ Sweet Sixteen Sit-Down table - sliding fabric
  • I would like to purchase this model for my wife. Yesterday we visited our local dealer and gave the machine a good test drive. Our concern was with the table top. When we place a 65" square quilt on the table it was hard to slide it around as the table seemed not to be slick enough. Is there a way to make it more slippery like rubbing a dryer sheet on the surface or some kind of was coating? We did roll up the quilt and were using those special gloves for a better grip on the fabric. Owners of this products suggestions are most appreciated.
  • Hi, I just bought one of these "sweeties" a couple of weeks ago and have only tested it out on small pieces, but love it so far! This question has come up several times at our guild - about how to help fabric move smoothly (when using regular sewing machines) and the answers that came up were:
    Spray the surface/table area with a silicone-based spray (ie Quilt Glide) or a silicon furniture polish (not having personally tried these, don't know if there are any issues with residue); alternatively you can buy a teflon sheet and cut it to the size you want and put it over the table area; there is a small (12" x 18") one sold for this purpose called "Sew Slip" (google it), but you may be able to find a local company that sells this in rolls/large pieces.
    And just to mention, make sure when quilting you are holding/moving the fabric more with your finger than placing yours hands flat.
    Hope that helps!
    Marion
  • My husband waxed the TABLE with car wax and boy, does it make a difference! There's also a "Supreme Slider" sold that is basically a teflon sheet that you put on top of the throat plate that helps a lot.

Good luck and I hope you get your wife one of these babies! She'll love it!

Sandy S
  • I LOVE my Sweet Sixteen!!!! My only problem has been adjusting tension. But am getting the hang of it.
  • The "Sew Slip" is a knock off of the original "Free motion slider". The slider is 1000% better and you can purchase them just about anywhere. Google it
    Kim
  • I've had mine for about 9 months now and love love love it.I just use pledge furniture polish on it and it slides pretty good, but I think I'll try to use car wax like someone else did. The more slippery, the better!!!!!!!! Michele
  • I have the top made for the machine it works great.
  • How about a clear plastic shower curtain. Cut this to size to fit the whole table and cut out a whole for the needle. I got one for $7 at Walmart.