Welcome Quilter!

It looks like you’re new here. If you want to get involved, click on “Apply for Membership”.

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

In this Discussion

Quilt label
  • How do you attach a label to your quilts when you are going to Long Arm them??
  • I don't attach the labels until AFTER I have the quilt all longarmed. I then hand stitch them on.
  • I quilt it first then put the tag on. Sometimes I hand stitch sometimes I machine stitch
  • I have done it both ways. Sometimes I quilt first, then handstitch the label on. Other times I have pieced the label in (a fancier embroidered one) and do the quilting right over it.
  • I attach the labels after the quilt has been quilted and bound.
  • I attach it by hand using an applique stitch after the quilt has been quilted.
  • If you quilt over it, is the label on the front of the quilt??
  • I place the label on the back after it's quilted and hand stitch it down!
  • I have also done it both ways (before and after quilting) If it is after, it really must be hand appliqued, to prevent showing through on the front. If it is before, careful placement and basting is the key. Often it is best for the LA quilter to baste it through all the layers to see exactly where it is in relation to the backing as it is loaded on the frame. If you baste it yourself to just the backing fabric, give the LA quilter specific instructions on where you want the label to end up (bottom right corner, centered at top, etc.) In either case, I always make my labels with interfacing for stability and fully finished edges.