Welcome Quilter!

It looks like you’re new here. If you want to get involved, click on “Apply for Membership”.

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

In this Discussion

Hq Sweet 16 Stitch Regulator
  • If anyone has added a stitch regulator to their SS I would like to know whether they found it worth while. Did their stitches look better? I'm thinking of purchasing one. I do all free motion thread painting.
  • I have an Avante' which has the stitch regulator. I don't use anything but the regulator. The stitches are much better & you can control the speed. It is worth the money. It doesn't take long to get used to it. You get spoiled very quickly.
  • For the Sweet Sixteen, if you have had it for a while, I don't think you need a stitch regulator. You probably are pretty happy with your stitching.... and it also allows me to more closely stitch areas if I am combining filling in stitches with detailing. Just my thoughts on the subject. I could better use the money on more fabric!
  • I have the Sweet 16 with the stitch regulator. I have only had it since August 2012 but do see a big difference in the stitches. I am very happy with the stitch regulator and feel it is worthwhile. Please remember, there is a learning curve with it as there is to the machine itself. I am still somewhere on that curve but improving.
  • For my 60th, my husband surprised me - taking me to the store - to let me know he had bought me a Sweet Sixteen. I sat with 3 other women and watched a lady use the one in the store, there was no hands on tuition... Take the machine home and use it. A Novice knows not what to do!! So, went to the only help I could get "The Net". So much help is there which is given by the people at the store.
    Tension!!! my biggest heartache of all. The Stitch Regulator was advertised. wow, I thought that would be the greatest thing. Was told that no mater how fast or slow you go, the Stitch Regulator will keep your stitches ... 9, 10, 12 to the inch. I have it, I use it, but I prefer not, as I do Custom Quilting on my quilts. The stitches are all out of whack. When I mentioned this to an assistant at the store...was told "Oh,it wold be NO good for what you are doing." So, I practise and practise not using it, and surprisingly, my stitches are sort of regular. If I knew what I was doing in the first place, would never have bought it. The tension is crazy. Same stories as i have read here...bought myself a TOWA, and Bobbin Geinie's - so see how that goes.
    I have done a small sampler, as so far, so good. You just go to test your tension on a scrap sandwich each time you change a bobbin (which is a pain) - it works,
  • I don't have the regulator and I don't feel the need. I started free motion on a regular machine it's like anything it takes practice. I did post a video on YouTube for the sweet sixteen. I will be doing one this week for thread painting on it. I have found that when I first got it I had to tweak it quite a lot to get the tension adjusted but now I haven't had to tweak very much. The bobbin was what I tweaked the most. I use sulky for the top thread and I have used both the pre wound bobbins that I love and have wound some to match the top thread.
    As for the regulating it takes practice the biggest thing is moving your fabric at the same speed as pushing on the foot. If your speed is fast move the fabric fairly fast. If you watch my video please let me know I would love to know the things you feel need to be different or ones you would like to see.
  • I bought a new Bernina with a BSR (stitch regulator) and really do not like it. I cannot seem to move the material around at the correct speed.
  • I also did not like the Bernina BSR, so don't think I would like the stitch regulator for my HQ 16. My dealer said it actually worked differently than the BSR, but learned to quilt without one and it just gets in my way. I prefer to move at my own pace without any help!

• I have used a stitch regulator on both my Bernina and my HQ16. I also quilt without it. The project I'm working on helps determine whether I use it or not. For tight stippling I don't use it but for most other work I will, especially on the HQ.
  • I believe that everyone should learn how to drive a stick shift before driving a automatic shift car. The same goes for a stitch regulator. If you learn how to free motion without it, you'll probably not want to waste your money on a stitch regulator. I personally wouldn't want one. It looks like it would just be in the way. You can see my work done on a sweet sixteen sit down model at www.facebook.com/custommachinequilting. It's just a matter of learning to move the fabric to the rhythm of the machine. I think this particular stitch regulator is over rated. ( Just my Opinion).
  • I have used the Bobbin Genie and not once did I have "Birds Nests" on the back of the quilt I am quilting. One big problem is that the material I have used for the backing (wide backing) seems to grab the table of the Sweet Sixteen. I have the "mat" which is supposed to help with this problem, but alas, it doesn't. So, when it came to back tracking around feathers it has made me very sad as the backing grabs and your work looks terrible. I have read that some ladies use a ORMD Quilt Glide Silicone spray recommended by Patsy Thompson. Has anyone ever tried this? Also another lady stated she used a slicone mat taped to the front of the table with Painters Tape to help stop the drag when quilting large quilts on the S.S. Anyone got any ideas there?
  • Chele -
    I have an idea to lessen the drag on the edge of the table. My SS table has the q-snap rails along the font and sides. I also have the mat, and it hold the mat in place so I didn't have to tape it down. It has worked fine for me. I do have a few photo on my blog at Sylvia's Stitches. Hope this helps.
  • Thank you Sylvia, I will go have a look at your blog. Qsnap rails are what exactly, as never heard of them.
  • Chele - I hadn't heard of them either before I got my SS. I found my SS as a used 1-year old machine offered for sale on this HQ forum site in 2012. My q-snap rails came with the table from the previous owner. I googled q-snap, and it is a set of tubes and rails for hand-quilting frames. The previous owner of my SS cut some rails to fit the length of the SS table. I believe they sell extension rails separately too. It is a clever use for them.
    Sylvia
  • Hi Sylvia, I see them...took a while, ha ha. I googled Q-snap and it is a company in America. I shall have to see if I can find something that will suffice at our local hardware. Thank you for that, as am definetly going to look itno doing this.