Welcome Quilter!

It looks like you’re new here. If you want to get involved, click on “Apply for Membership”.

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

In this Discussion

Quilt Show Protocol
  • I have been told by Handi Quilter representatives that it is impossible to use two different color threads, one light in the bobbin, the other top thread a dark color that matches the top quilt border because the light bobbin thread will show on the top of the quilt mixed with the darker color top thread. I was told to use the same color thread in the bobbin and top thread.

My question is, in doing this, if your back fabric is a solid ivory color, and you use different color threads stitching your quilt, the back of your quilt will be stitched in different color thread giving your quilt back a "rainbow" of thread color. Is the acceptable to judges judging your quilt in a quilt show????
  • I wouldn't give up using different colors top and bobbin. Tension adjusment is a struggle, but well worth the effort. The concept of using identical colors would totally eliminate the use of variegated threads. I try to find a reasonable "mid range" tone for bobbin. I frequently check and tweak tension as best I can. Jamie Wallen has a You-Tube video on tension. He recommends adjusting until the threads lock just under the quilt top, with a slight pokie showing on top, especially in the corners. His opinion is that the thread will "settle" when the quilt is taken off the machine, washed and/or handled. That's just one experienced quilter's opinion.
    I also encourage my clients to use busy prints for backing instead of solids. This really helps to hide minor pokies. With the wide variety of fabrics used to construct a top, piecing seams, and density variations in the batting, I don't think that there is any way to get around minor shifts in tension.