Welcome Quilter!

It looks like you’re new here. If you want to get involved, click on “Apply for Membership”.

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

In this Discussion

Using Rulers for Straight Edge
  • I borrowed a demo Sweet Sixteen and plan to buy it. Absolutely in love with it. My only problem is using rulers. I watched the video, but when I lay the ruler down, there is a bump where the machine meets the table - it's not a straight surface. The ruler doesn't seem to work well with it. Does anyone use this machine for stitch-in-the-ditch? Do you use the ruler, or just carefully run the foot along the seam line? I'm doing ok with FMQ, just need practice. But I need to do straight lines, too. Would one of those slider sheets help?
  • Hi, I tried the setup with overlay at the dealer and didn't feel that the overlay sufficiently compensated for the height difference. I did purchase the setup and made an adjustment to it. I had a 12x12 vinyl floor tile purchased at Home Depot. (I purchased it and used half of it to replace the cardboard stiffener in the bottom of a tote bag.) I cut strips from it that were the width of the vertical spacer that sits between the bottom and top of the table. I loosened the screws and slipped the material under the vertical spacers - a long strip between the screws and shorter strips from the screws to the front and rear edges of the table. It worked great and the rulers no longer wobble.

Also, did you know that Handiquilter offers a height adjustment kit for the Sweet Sixteen to level the machine with the table? Customer service could probably help you get it. I think it was being offered free.

Good luck.
  • I got the overlay and a Line Tamer ruler which are working beautifully together. Now, I just need to "practice, practice, practice!" I love my Sweetie, but am waiting for a new light array to arrive. Lights started blinking very soon after I got it, and some lights have gone out. New ones are on order, and luckily I work in a pretty bright place for now.
  • Where are you in VT? I just got my 16 and getting frustrated with tension issues. In south burlington
  • VTquilter, what is the "overlay"? Is the Line Tamer ruler the straight edge ruler that you can order separately? thanks -
  • Overlay is an accessory that goes on the table. It raises the surface to be more level - http://www.handiquilter.com/shop/product/hq-sweet-sixteen-table-overlay/ The Line Tamer is a ruler for straight lines sold here: http://fourpawsquilting.com/pages/template.html I am happy with both.
  • Are you saying the Line Tamer can be used with the Sweet 16? The hopping foot will fit in the slot?
  • Yes the hopping foot fits in the slot and its a life save for straight stitching. The design of the tool makes it easy to hold. I have an avante and in my opinion this is one of the best rulers I own.
  • Do you use it for SID?
  • Do you have to have a ruler base when you use the line tamer?
  • beenec, yes, it's great for stitching in the ditch. Quilting Mary, I don't understand your question. What do you mean by a "ruler base?" The Line Tamer is a ruler with a slot in the middle that fits the hopping foot of the Sweet 16. Go to this site to see it. http://fourpawsquilting.com/pages/template.html You don't need the overlay on your machine to use it, but I find it does give a flatter surface to your machine.
  • You will need the ruler base if you don't have a sit down model any time you are using rulers.
  • If you have a sit down machine, you will need to order the kit to get instruction to remove the rubber machine feet and replace with silicone pads to lower the machine slightly so that ruler work will be a breeze. I did this and love doing ruler work. You do have to test to ensure the machine is at the right height so that your ruler does not slip under the hopping foot. This took me a couple of tries, I used silicone furniture pads from the hardware store, but just call HQ, they will send you the kit.