Welcome Quilter!

It looks like you’re new here. If you want to get involved, click on “Apply for Membership”.

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

In this Discussion

skipped stitches
  • I have an HQ sixteen, sit down model, about ??six or so years old. I've had trouble with timing, but the gal that services it said the timing was okay a week ago. I made it through one quilt with minimal difficulty a week ago. Yesterday I started a new quilt and it was skipping stitches...large sections of stitches. I have replaced the needle (yes I use only the ones from handiquilter). I switched from prewound bobbins to one I wound on the bobbin winder from handiquilter, I checked the tension on the bobbin, I cleaned the machine (which I do religiously), made sure a drop of oil was placed in the right place (again, something I do before undertaking any quilt), and still it skips stitches. I routinely have tension adjustment issues, which I have learned to just deal with by checking/resetting as needed. I also at one time had problems with the machine hanging up (stopping) with thread catching in the race/hook mechanism, which appeared to have been successfully serviced. Any clues as to what I could check next? It is getting incredibly frustrating to have one problem after another. Thanks, Lydia C
  • Did you try rotating the eye of the needle to either closer to 5 or 7 O'clock? I have done this before and it helped with skipped and irregular stitches. I also stick to a couple types of thread -only those that my machine likes.
  • Lydia C.,

I am sorry you are having problems with skipped stitches. Are the skipped stitches in one certain direction, like when you are moving your fabric towards you? If it is happening when you are moving your fabric towards try using a larger needle. Sometimes when you are moving the fabric in this direction it actually deflects the needle just enough that it can cause the skipping.

I hope this helps. If not please call our Technical Solutions team at 1-877-697-8458, M-F, 8-5 MDT. They will be able to help you.

Good luck,

Cheryl Duncan
    Handi Quilter Studio Educator