Welcome Quilter!

It looks like you’re new here. If you want to get involved, click on “Apply for Membership”.

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

In this Discussion

Using sheets for backing
  • I have a customer that brought me a sheet to use for backing. I was told because of the fiber count being so different than fabric there could be a problem. Anyone use sheets for backings?
  • Sherrye,

There are people that use sheets for backing. We don't recommend it but you can quilt it. Just make sure that you test your tension on the extra fabric on the side of your quilt and make the necessary adjustments. If you are having problems loosen the tension on your quilt top slightly.

I hope this helps you.

Thank you,

Cheryl Duncan
    Handi Quilter Studio Educator
  • I just finished quilting 2 sheets together with Mountain Mist batting for a client who had the sheets for 20+ years. I don't believe I've ever seen sheets with such a tight weave. I used the Pro-Stitcher and slowed the speed of the machine to 40% to help prevent skipped stitches. The quilt turned out beautifully and my client was really pleased. If I was to do this again I would try using a very fine thread so that I could also use a finer needle. The tension on the top could only be loosened so much. I used a #18 needle and Omni thread and I could hear the needle punching through the fabric. I changed needles 3 times on this queen size project.