Welcome Quilter!

It looks like you’re new here. If you want to get involved, click on “Apply for Membership”.

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

In this Discussion

Avante timing out again
  • This is the fourth or fifth time the timing has "just gone out" since I have had this Avante. I am wondering if this is just going to be a way of life with this machine. After looking at this forum it seems as if many others are having the same problem. I have asked to purchase the service manual since my husband could work on it if he had the specs. and was told they do not furnish that even at purchase to the individual owner. My rep is located 1 1/2 hours away and it costs me about $300. every time he comes. I am at my wits end. Does anyone have a solution to this problem. Can the machine be sent back to the factory ? I have too much invested at this point or I would change to another brand. I really did love the HQ when it is working but what to do? Customer quilts sitting here to be done and it is looking like I will have to return them to the owners and call it quits. If anyone has a solution please advise.
  • Dear Nancybxyz,
    We are sorry that you are having problems. This is not normal for our machines.
    Please call Angie at 801-335-0833 and we will get you taken care of.

Angie Balling
    Handi Quilter
    Studio Educator
  • I have an Avante 18 and have put the timing out three times( it is not hard to do) lucky for me I have a friend who fixes sewing machines and he showed me how to fix it as the nearest rep is about a 12 hour drive and a two to three hour boat trip away or $300 one courier charge away. It is not hard to do and can't understand why Handiquilter agents do not give out that information maybe it is to get more money from you. I haven't had any problems with the machine since I fixed it
  • Is there anyone out there that knows of a video or pdf file that shows me how to fix the timing on the avante18? I have looked all over youtube without success.
  • Cclay,

There are not any videos on adjusting your timing. Please call our Technical Solutions at 1-877-697-8458, M-F, 8-5 MDT. They will be able to give you some advice.

Thanks,

Cheryl Duncan
    Handi Quilter Studio Educator
  • There is a video on timing an APQS machine on YouTube. Although the HQ is not the same machine, my husband who is mechanically inclined did time my Fusion after watching this video a few times. The HQ is not hard to time, just takes some patience and a few hours. This is MUCH easier than taking the machine to the dealer. Besides the burden of transporting it and the cost, you have no machine to quilt on!
  • HQ is not ready to let individual owners time their own machines. I think it is sad that I have to pay over $100 to have someone come out to time my machine. (4 times since November 2012) I hope HQ re-thinks their status on this problem.
  • I was about to purchase an HQ Avante, but this scares the living hell out of me. I am sending back another brand of machine because it breaks any thread no matter how fine i tune both bobbin and upper tension, stitch control stopped working and it leaked oil on my quilt. I was hoping to get Avante or Fusion but I do not want to end up in the same predicament. What to do???? I feel your pain!
  • Handi Quilter is listening to you. We recognize that some owners live far from their local HQ Reps, so we are working on a video to show owners how to time their own machines. Unfortunately, we don't have it ready yet. Timing HQ machines also requires a tool kit, which we will sell to interested owners. I don't mean this as a tease, but I want you to know that we are working on this.

Best regards,
    Brenda Groelz
    Director of Marketing & Education
    Handi Quilter, Inc.
  • I'm glad to hear that Handi Quilter is listening to us. I purchased a pre-owned machine and don't have access to training on it. Our dealer is at least 2 hours away. The timing has been out several times, and my husband has been able to get it back, but he's thinking it's not right on target since it keeps going over and over. I hope the video and the tool kit will be available soon. It sounds like there may be several of us who need it!
  • Yahoo! hurry up HQ! I've always been able to adjust timing on all my sewing machines over the years and find it unbelievable this is not an option on HQ machines. Reps are far away and charge too much to do this simple task!!
  • The youtube videos are available.
  • cant seem to find them on you tube
  • Dear Gardenlady,

Handi Quilter has made five videos to show machine timing to assist our authorized representatives. In a few rare situations, machine owners may not have a nearby Handi Quilter rep who can provide this service. If the machine owners have the appropriate skills to time their own machines and there are no easy alternatives available, they should contact Handi Quilter technical support, M-F, 8 am to 5 pm, Mountain Time, 1- 877-MY-QUILT (697-8458). Our technical support staff will talk with the machine owner to determine the best option. If they feel the machine owner has the skills to time their own machine, they can sell the machine timing kit (Part # QM49400) which includes the videos, necessary tools, and instruction manual to the customer.

Angie Balling
    Handi Quilter
    Studio Educator
  • Tasha, I would highly recommend the Avante 18. I love, love, love this machine. It rarely goes out of time and when it does it is usually because of something I have done. Hit a ruler, not cleaned the bobbin case, got caught up in the edge of the quilt top while working from the back, not replacing my needle more frequently, etc. I am more careful about avoiding those situations.
    Karen