Welcome Quilter!

It looks like you’re new here. If you want to get involved, click on “Apply for Membership”.

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

In this Discussion

Floating a Quilt
  • Hi
    Any advice on floating a small quilt on my Avante please? It isn't a technique I have used - I am new to longarm quilting and still looking for help and advice every step of the way!

Thanks!
  • Cookie79,

When you are floating a quilt top you need to be very careful that you keep it straight. Using a channel lock make your self a straight line along your batting and backing. Then place the edge of your quilt top along that edge and baste it in place. Then baste the sides of your quilt. Make sure you place the quilt under the top roller, not over top of it. Each time you roll make sure that you keep your sides straight and baste them down.

The important thing is to make sure you are keeping your quilt straight each time you roll.

When you attach your quilt to the top roller you do have more control as you roll, but there are many people that float their quilts and do just fine.

Good luck,

Cheryl Duncan
    Handi Quilter Studio Educator
  • Thank you!