Welcome Quilter!

It looks like you’re new here. If you want to get involved, click on “Apply for Membership”.

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

In this Discussion

Puckering quilt back
  • I could officially cry at this point. I made a beautiful Amazon Star quilt and the first time I quilted it everything was great until I got to the last 10 inches and discovered I was going to have a huge pucker on the front. I took the quilt off the machine frogged every bit of thread out and started over. I might mention that I floated the top. I remeasured everything was square on the top but not the bottom, so I bought a 120" wide backing and squared it up. Great, everything was now square. Loaded the back with no problem , loaded the front (again floating the top). Just finished quilting the whole thing again and discovered that I have 2 areas in the back that have puckers Both are about 8" long and in the center area of the quilt the first is 14" from the top of the quilt and the last is about 20" from the bottom. Any idea why this would happen. Am I not tightening the side stabilizers tight enough? The other disgusting factor is at the bottom center of the top I still have an area that has puckered. So much for this years fair quilt. Any one that can shed light on my problem please speak up.
  • Orquilterljd,

I am sorry you have had such a hard time with this quilt. When you are quilting your quilt it is very important that you keep everything squared up. Baste down the sides of your quilt each time you roll your quilt. Check and make sure that as you roll you are keeping the sides of your quilt square, you can do this by using a measuring tape, Golden Threads sells a Quilter's Measuring Tape that you can attach to the idler bar and check the sides of your quilt with every roll. It starts in the center with "0" and is numbered out the same on each side.

Try stabilizing your quilt by doing your stitch in the ditch first, through the whole quilt, then go back and fill in the different areas of your quilt. Then as your roll back and forth through your quilt this in one time you can tighten the tension on your quilt slightly, both on the sides and on the rollers. Don't tighten it so much that it is bouncing as you are quilting.

You may find that you actually have more control over your quilt if you load it on the rollers rather than just floating it. As you roll your quilt on make sure you keep it straight.

Whether you load your quilt or float it make sure you are checking each time you roll that your quilt is smooth. Then you shouldn't have any surprises at the end.

Good luck,

Cheryl Duncan
    Handi Quilter Studio Educator

• Thanks for the help. I'm getting ready to load another quilt so I'll give your hints a try. I generally just do an all over design or use a pantograph. This one I'm going to try stitching in the ditch on my wind mills then go back and quilt everything else. Here is hoping all goes well.

Again Thanks,

Linda