Welcome Quilter!

It looks like you’re new here. If you want to get involved, click on “Apply for Membership”.

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

In this Discussion

Another Question!
  • How do you know if the bobbin case is damaged ? Where would the damage be visible? My tension is suddenly all over the place after quilting beautifully for half an hour and the thread is now shredding. I am very frustrated., Thanks
  • It's not likely to be damaged unless you dropped it on a hard surface or you jammed into it with a needle. To me, this sounds like lint under the tension spring on the bobbin case. Have you tried gently running a pin or the edge of a business card under that flat tension spring that is found on the outside of the bobbin case? Please give that a try. Just the tiniest speck of lint can play havoc with tension and stitching.
  • And another problem could be the bobbin itself. If you've dropped a bobbin, or overfilled it, it can cause lots of problems. I am speaking from very recent experience. My machine was skipping stitches and making an awful mess. So I changed to a new bobbin, carefully wound so it wasn't too full. I followed the instructions on the HQ video about tension on the bobbin case, and although it seemed way too loose to me, I adjusted the screw so the thread flowed very freely. I inserted a new needle and made sure it was meticulously aligned. And as an abundance of caution, I changed to another cone of thread, saving the old one to be used on my domestic machine. And I loosened the top tension on the Avante a LOT. It is now stitching beautifully again.

One other thing -- I put a rubber mat under the side of the machine where I would be likely to drop stuff to kind of cushion it. So far it hasn't happened again. And I ordered a bunch of new bobbins. Don't want to go through all that again if I can avoid it!