Welcome Quilter!

It looks like you’re new here. If you want to get involved, click on “Apply for Membership”.

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

In this Discussion

As a newbie I have learned:
  • Slow down to prevent the sloppy stitch frustration-speed comes with experience.

Get the bottom tension right- then work on the top-never take for granted it looks pretty on the back- you have to L@@K from time to time.

If it doesn't feel right it probably isn't.

Practice practice practice- not just at the machine. There is a reason it's suggested you try drawing your design before stitching.....I have gone thru 2 sketch pads. I can go back to when I first started doodling and stitching and I see the huge improvement.

Is this all. Nope-I have had my machine 3 weeks- these are only "what I have learned" to share with other new owners. There is still a lot of learning to go.

Thanks for looking and any comments or suggestions for a newbie (me) will be greatly appreciated.
  • Dear Katn,
    You've learned a lot in three weeks! Thank you for sharing it with our other new owners.

One thing I'd like to add to your observations, is that it is possible to have perfectly balanced tension, but still have thread breakage. If this ever happens to you, the answer is to loosen the tension, starting by backing off the bobbin tension. A delicate thread can have a balanced stitch, but once you start moving the machine, it rebels against tight tension by breaking. For example, a poly-wrapped, poly-core thread is very strong and can have tight tension, but a mylar thread or a very fine thread set with the same tension will break. Don't let thread breakage throw you. Loosen the bobbin and then adjust the top to match. HQ machines are very thread-friendly!
  • I love this machine! Best decision I have made in a while.