Welcome Quilter!

It looks like you’re new here. If you want to get involved, click on “Apply for Membership”.

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

In this Discussion

Thread nest on bottom, thread breaks on top.
  • I am in dire need of help! I recently experienced the dreaded situation where the hopping foot gets sewn into the quilt top and ever since I extricated myself I have had stitch issues. I experience thread nests on the backing side while at the same time I see the top thread breaks, though the machine somehow continues to sew, leaving half inch to inch long gaps in the stitching.

I have a bobbin thread gauge that I use religiously. I have cleaned and cleaned and cleaned the bobbin case and bobbin area on the machine. I have rethreaded the top thread three times, and cleaned the tension disks as part of the third rethread. My frame and tracks are surgically immaculate. I use Superior threads, currently Omni on top and Bottom Line pre-wound in the bobbin case. I'm at my wits end! Has anyone gone through this? Can the HQ Experts please advise???
  • Dear Fabric Queen,
    I am sorry that you are having problems. When you thread your top thread floss it into the top tension disk. Make sure the top tension disk is free from any thread or lint. Change your needle making sure the long groove is facing the front. If you are continue having problems please call our Technical Solutions, 8 am -5 pm MDT, Mon-Friday. 877-697-8458. Your machine might of gone out of time with your hopping foot situation.

Best of Luck,
    Angie Balling
    Handi Quilter
    Studio Educator
  • I saw a post where Brenda says a tutorial on how to time our machine is coming out soon. Any timeline on that? I know that's the issue and the service folks here have a monstrous "house call" fee...which means I have to disconnect cables and cords and plugs and roller bars, haul it in, leave it for at least a couple of days, and then reverse it all...all the while hoping I get things hooked up correctly again.
  • Dear Fabric Queen,
    We do not have a date at this time.

Angie Balling
    Handi Quilter
    Studio Educator
  • Dear Fabric Queen,
    The timing video has been filmed and we are editing it now. We are also putting together and pricing the tool kit that is needed to time the machines. Our plan is to post the video online, so end users can watch it and decide if this is something they want to tackle. If they do, they can order the tool kit.

Once we get this done, I will post an announcement right here to let you know where you can find the video.
  • Brenda, this is the best news ever! I can't wait to get my hands on that tool kit! My machine is in the shop as I type and they confirmed the timing was out. Thanks so very much for taking steps to empower us to do this work if we so choose.
  • I find use of a magic bobbin genie helps to prevent those nasty nests on the bottom.
  • Marcia, are these magic bobbin genies the little plastic disks that fit in the bobbin case? Are you using them on a Sweet 16? And where do you buy them? Anyone else have any experience using these bobbin genies?
  • Yes, that's right. I bought mine online. They come I two sizes...smaller ones for domestic machines and M size for machines with larger bobbins. However, I've been using one of the smaller ones in my HQ 16. There are a whole bunch in the package. As far as I know they don't wear out but it's pretty easy to lose one when changing bobbins so it's good to have several.

• Yes, that's right. I bought mine online. They come I two sizes...smaller ones for domestic machines and M size for machines with larger bobbins. However, I've been using one of the smaller ones in my HQ 16. There are a whole bunch in the package. As far as I know they don't wear out but it's pretty easy to lose one when changing bobbins so it's good to have several.

• Yes, that's right. I bought mine online. They come In two sizes...smaller ones for domestic machines and M size for machines with larger bobbins. However, I've been using one of the smaller ones in my HQ 16. There are a whole bunch in the package. As far as I know they don't wear out but it's pretty easy to lose one when changing bobbins so it's good to have several.

• Yes, that's right. I bought mine online. They come In two sizes...smaller ones for domestic machines and M size for machines with larger bobbins. However, I've been using one of the smaller ones in my HQ 16. There are a whole bunch in the package. As far as I know they don't wear out but it's pretty easy to lose one when changing bobbins so it's good to have several.