Welcome Quilter!

It looks like you’re new here. If you want to get involved, click on “Apply for Membership”.

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

In this Discussion

bobbin tension and cruise mode
  • I'm using rulers on the quilt I'm doing now and at time i will have eyelashes on the top and underside of my quilt and i find my stitches are small in length. What am i doing wrong? I have adjusted my tension in the middle of my quilting it works for a while then I have to adjust again .i do start off slow .also Is there a way to lengthen my stitch in either mode.my setting are precision mode-- speed 25 spi 12
    cruise mode--3% speed 25 spi 12
    I have watched the videos but nothing on my stitch length. unless I'm not watching the right ones.
    Thank You
    God Bless
    Loretta
  • Loretta,

I am sorry that you are having problems with your stitches. When you are getting eyelashes your tension is not set correctly. You can watch our TNT video. Click on Education, then videos. It is under General Education. This will really help you get your bobbin tension set correctly first. Once the bobbin is set correctly then your adjustments will be on the top tension.

From your question it sounds like you are using Manual mode on your machine. If you have your speed set at 25% and start moving the machine very slow you will get small stitches.

You can set your Stitch Mode in either Manual or Regulated. You will either use one or the other, not both. Your machine will have a speed setting or stitches per inch.

When you are in Manual you can adjust your speed, which is the speed at which the needle rotates. You can use the + or - buttons on the handle bars to change your speed. You can also adjust your speed on the screen with the buttons on the top right hand side of the screen. When you are stitching using Manual YOU determine the size of your stitches by the speed at which you move your machine.

When you are in Regulated mode you set your Stitches Per Inch using the same buttons that change your speed. In Regulated mode the machine regulates the size of your stitches as you move the machine. You can out run the stitch regulator. If you are moving the machine too fast you will not have even stitches.

In the Regulated mode you have Precision or Cruise. In Precision when you stop moving the machine your needle will stop immediately. The needle will stop where it is in the rotation. Once you move (or bump) the machine it will begin stitching.

In the Cruise mode you can set the percentage at which the needle rotates. When you stop the machine it will continue to stitch unless you turn off the machine.

If you have further questions you can call Handi Quilter at 1-877-697-8458, M-F, MDT.

Good luck,

Cheryl Duncan
    Handi Quilter Studio Educator