Welcome Quilter!

It looks like you’re new here. If you want to get involved, click on “Apply for Membership”.

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

In this Discussion

skipping stitches and ultimately not picking up any stitches?
  • Avante user. Sewing on batik top, warm & natural batting, cotton backing. Just took a cotton on cotton quilt off that sewed dreamily. This one won't keep stitches. Makes 4 or 5 then just punching holes. Bobbin thread still following along just not coming up. Same type thread as before. Tried new needle, new size needle, new bobbin, rethreading machine, changing tension, quilt does not appear to be too taunt, what else can I do?
  • Dear SewFaith,
    I am sorry that you are having difficulties when quilting Batiks. It is a common problem because of the characteristics of the fabric. Here are a few things that might help. First, go to a bigger needle (18 or 20). Other ideas are to slow down your machine, loosen your quilt sandwich, rotate your needle, loosen your tension on bobbin and top and you might want to try sewers aid.
    It is very important to know it will take longer to quilt a batik quilt. I hope that this helps.

Good luck,

Angie Balling
    Handi Quilter
    Studio Educator

• Thank you. I will try all of these ideas!
  • Can I ask what is sewers aid ?
  • Hi Suesutch,
    Sewers aid is a silicone lubricant. Apply it sparingly to thread, needles or thread guides. Can be used when machine sewing/quilting or hand work. May help with smoother sewing and easier penetration of the fabric. You can find it at some fabric stores and online.

Good Luck,
    Angie Balling
    Handi Quilter
    Studio Educator