Welcome Quilter!

It looks like you’re new here. If you want to get involved, click on “Apply for Membership”.

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

In this Discussion

Twisted Thread
  • While quilting a free-motion stipple, I noticed that every 5-10 feet of stitching I would have a tight bundle of twisted thread on the bottom of my quilt. I tried changing the thread type and, changing the needle, changing the thread spool to role off instead of peal. No luck. Any suggestions?
  • Forgot to mention I am using a Sweet Sixteen.

• I am sorry you are having problems with your tension. It sounds like your bobbin might not be wound correctly. Check your bobbin and make sure that it is wound correctly. It should not be spongy, it should be firm. If it is not firm then try re-winding a new bobbin. It should rotate in a clockwise direction as you pull the thread out of the bobbin case.

You don't mention the type of thread you are using but, if you are using a slippery thread it could be falling out of the tension disks. If it is falling out then tighten your tension disks a little more.

Also, if you are using a linty thread you could be getting a build up of lint under the "j" hook on your bobbin case, or even lint between your tension disks. Make sure everything is cleaned out and that the hook on the bobbin case is in the slot on the side where it should be.

Make sure that your needle is in correctly and that the long groove is down the front.

If this doesn't help please call our Technical Solutions Team at 1-877-697-8458, M-F, 8-5.

Thanks,

Cheryl Duncan
    Handi Quilter Studio Educator