Welcome Quilter!

It looks like you’re new here. If you want to get involved, click on “Apply for Membership”.

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

In this Discussion

Sweet 16 Bobbin Winder
  • Help. Is there a video showing how to use the newer bobbin winder? My bobbins are too spongy and I've wasted a ton of expensive thread. Should I bring the winder to my dealer? I'm so frustrated. My husband can't even figure it out and he's an engineer. He says it's the worst design he's ever seen.
  • Dear Andy,
    I am sorry that you are having difficulties with the bobbin winder. There is a video on our website with our older model bobbin winder. The principles are the same. If you are getting spongy bobbins you do not have enough tension on your thread. You will need to check two things. First make sure that your thread is flossed between the disk of the tension assembly. Second, you need to increase the tension on your bobbin winder. The following link is the video on the older model.

Adjusting the Thread Tension
    The HQ Bobbin Winder was designed to give you the flexibility you need to work with different
    threads and bobbins. Having a proper wind on a bobbin is critical to good stitching. A bobbin that is wound too loosely will allow the thread to become tangled or embedded into itself. A bobbin that is wound too tightly may warp the bobbin, causing permanent damage and creating a “bulge” that keeps the bobbin from fitting properly in the bobbin case.You may want to adjust the thread tension to accomplish the best wind for the thread you are using. Use the following instructions to adjust the thread tension on the winder to provide a smooth bobbin fill with a firm surface.

1. Locate the tensioner knob on the front of the bobbin winder base (Figure 11).
    2. Adjust the tension by turning the knob, using one-quarter turn increments for best results.
    3. Turn the tension knob clockwise to tighten the tension.
    4. Turn the tension knob counter-clockwise to loosen the tension.

Angie Balling
    Handi Quilter
    Studio Educator
  • this video was very helpful, however it would have been more helpful had she shown how the tension should look by pulling on the thread.
  • Hey Andy, I was having the same problem but found that if I started it on 0 then turned it up but only to 2 it wound perfect, hope this helps