Welcome Quilter!

It looks like you’re new here. If you want to get involved, click on “Apply for Membership”.

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

In this Discussion

• I know this topic has been discussed to death, but I have talked to 10 different people and have 10 different ideas. I have a quilt with batik borders and cotton center and a quilt with batik top and backing. I am using black Omni thread with an 18 needle. Lots of skipped stitches. Someone told me to use a 20 needle. Did that. Still skipped stitches. Someone else told me to go down to a 16 needle. I have not tried that. I also did not try the suggestion from someone to spray silicone on the quilt "yikes". Someone else told me to mist it with water. I am beside my self on how to get the tension right. Any suggestions from the "experts"?
  • Demelias,

I am sorry that you are having problems when you are quilting with batiks, you are not alone. The only other suggestions that we have are to make sure that the tension on you quilt it not tight. Loosen it slightly. The other thing that we recommend is to slow down. You can try rotating your needle slightly towards 6:30. That should help with skipping. We also recommend lightly misting the quilt with water.

Good luck,

Cheryl Duncan
    Handi Quilter Studio Educator
  • I had a bit of trouble with skipped stitches while quilting a top with lots of machine appliqué ( with double sided iron-on stabilizer) yesterday and remembered your hint about lightly spraying the top. It worked! Thank you, Cheryl.