Welcome Quilter!

It looks like you’re new here. If you want to get involved, click on “Apply for Membership”.

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

In this Discussion

Tie-offs
  • I confess I got a little overzealous when using my new Avante Prostitcher and I adjusted different numbers to test it out. I played with the tie-off distances without writing down the factory settings. I though they would be in the manual, but I couldn't find any suggested stitch widths (distances?) for tacking and for microstitching. (I hope I have the terms correct!)

Also, is the recommended SPI for machine quilting 9-12? Is it okay to go with larger stitches (<9) or is that not a good idea?<br />
    thanks so much!
  • Jenzenbe,

You are fine, you can adjust your tie-offs to whatever you like. When you are using the Micro tie-off 4 is a good place to start. If you have a thread that is slippery you may want to increase the amount so that your thread holds. When you are using the Tack 2 is a good starting place.

An average SPI is 10-12. You can use a larger stitch length, you will just have a bigger stitch. If that is the look you want that is fine.

Good luck,

Cheryl Duncan
    Handi Quilter Studio Educator