Welcome Quilter!

It looks like you’re new here. If you want to get involved, click on “Apply for Membership”.

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

In this Discussion

Squeaks in Undercarriage
  • My HQ Avante is only two months old and I have done five wall hangings on it (not an excessive amount of quilting). It has developed some very loud and disturbing squeaks when the Prostitcher levers are lowered. When I lift them up, the squeaks go away. (I have cleaned the wheels and the track.) It sounds to me as if something needs to be oiled in the undercarriage, but I have seen no instructions about oiling anything in the carriage. What can I do to make these noises go away? Should I be concerned and not use my machine? My dealer lives hundreds of miles away and her hands-on experience with the PS is limited, so I can't really get help from her on this type of problem.

Also, when I was quilting a quilt with the PS engaged, I wanted to use a SPI of 9, but the machine kept changing itself back to 11--not immediately, but at some point after I changed it. I would again change it and maybe it would stay at 9 for a few minutes, but then it would be back at 11. Is there a reason it does that? Are patterns programmed with a default SPI? Does my machine have a problem?

thanks!

julia
  • My Avante is also new and squeaks. I imagine it will go away in time as I learn to use it. My dealer also lives 100 miles away and is limited on the PS experience. She has been helpful, though, whenever she can answer my questions.

To kind of help the squeaking I put a little silicone lubricant on the rails to see if it would get into the gears. It seems the squeaks are a little better. I've only quilted 3 small quilts with mine. I had a little bit of trouble with my 10 SPI but I thought perhaps it was my thread or tension.

Thinking of the PS this way, in time I'll really learn to use it.
  • Jenzenbe,

The squeaking will not hurt your machine. You can put some silicone lubricant on the blue rack and that should help.

When you are setting your stitches per inch while you are using your HQ Pro-Stitcher you need to set the Stitches per Inch in Settings on the Pro-Stitcher, not on your machine. Once you set it in Settings it should stay until you change it. If it isn't then please call our Technical Solutions team at 1-877-697-8458, M-F, 8-5 MDT, they will be able to help you.

Good luck,

Cheryl Duncan
    Handi Quilter Studio Educator

• Thanks Cheryl. I will try both of your suggestions.

Good luck Gracieia getting to know your new HQ. I've had some good times and some not so good times. (Did you know that the color of thread can significantly impact how it works with your machine? I discovered white thread can be EVIL.)
  • Some white threads! I don't mean to imply all white threads are bad! I assume the high quality longarm white threads all work like a charm.
  • What are the brands to stay away from? I didn't have a very good outcome with Royal blue Quilter's Choice. Yellow King Tut did fine as did Signature
  • Graciela,

When you are choosing a thread it is best to use quality threads. Some threads work fine, but are lintier than others. If you are using a linty thread then you need to make sure you keep your bobbin case and hook area cleaned out. Of course you will change your tension with each thread that you use.

There are lots of threads that are available for use. Don't be afraid to use them. You will find the ones you like.

Good luck,

Cheryl Duncan
    Handi Quilter Studio Educator