Welcome Quilter!

It looks like you’re new here. If you want to get involved, click on “Apply for Membership”.

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

In this Discussion

Filtec Prewound Bobbins
  • Anyone on the forum use the Filtec Glide prewound bobbins? I just purchased some at the Houston International Quilt Festival. I have a Handi Quilter 16. The man at Filtec said to remove the anti backlash spring in the bobbin casing before inserting the prewound bobbins. I am confused. I don't think there is a spring in my bobbin casing. Now I am concerned about using them. Any advise?
  • There is a spring, it just doesn't look like a spring. I have avoided buying these because I was concerned about the modification. I probably would buy a back up bobbin if I purchased these. These are the rave on other quilting boards, folks swear by them. I would love to know how these work out for you. I love love love prewound bobbins.
  • I love the Filtec magnetic bobbins and use them all the time. There is a tiny screw inside the bobbin case that you take out, and if I remember correctly, a disc-type part comes loose. I saved this part and the screw, "just in case"... but don't think I will ever go back to winding my own bobbins. The magnetic ones work so much better, and they have so much more thread than my "home wound" bobbins. I even use the magnetic bobbins in my ancient (probably 35 years old) Pfaff domestic machine, which stitches beautifully with them.
  • I use the magnetic bobbins all the time and just place them inside the bobbin case in my Avante 18 which work very well
    I am wondering why people are removing screws, or the back lash.
  • I use these all the time in my Avante. I did not remove the spring, just use them as is. They are fabulous!
  • I have used them in my HQ Sweet 16 and never remove any screw or spring. They work fine. I would try them without doing any alterations to your bobbin case and see how they work first before doing "surgery"!