Welcome Quilter!

It looks like you’re new here. If you want to get involved, click on “Apply for Membership”.

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

In this Discussion

Tension Changing while Quilting with Avante
  • I am having a problem with the tension on my Avante which I purchased in July. When I first start stitching at the beginning of a quilting session after the machine has been turned off and back on, my thread tension is always way too loose, even if nothing has changed since my last quilting session (e.g., bobbin change, rethread, etc.). Once I get the tension set correctly on my test piece, the thread tension feels like it is MUCH tighter than the bobbin tension. When I start quilting, the thread tension begins to tighten up as I quilt and I end up with eyelashes on the top. I have rethreaded the bobbin, rethreaded the machine, removed the throat plate to make sure there isn’t any lint in the bobbin case, checked the bobbin tension, and so forth. This has happened with 3 different threads, all of which I purchased from my Handi Quilter representative. Currently, I am using poly wrapped poly Omni Thread by Superior Threads with Hobbs 80/20 batting. I’m using good quality regular quilting cotton –not any batiks which I understand may cause problems with thread breakage. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated – I’m spending a lot of time on the floor looking at the back of the quilt to make sure that the tension remains correct. Thanks.
  • Cbdardano,

I am sorry that you are having problems with your thread and tension. It sounds like your thread may be getting caught somewhere along your thread path. Try placing a small piece of batting in the thread mast to help keep your thread from bouncing or coming out of there. Watch and make sure that the thread is not wrapping around your spool pin or getting caught around any other thread guide.

Make sure that your thread is still in your bobbin case correctly. There is a good video that tells how to set your bobbin tension on the Handi Quilter website. It is under Education, Videos then there is one on Setting your bobbin tension and one on TNT. Watch these and see if they help you get your tension set correctly. Remember that you always want to set your bobbin tension first then your adjustments will be with your top tension.

If you cannot see any place that your thread is getting caught and your tension is set correctly and still keeps getting tighter as you quilt, please call our Technical Solutions team at 1-877-697-8458, M-F, 8-5 MST.

Good luck,

Cheryl Duncan
    Handi Quilter Studio Educator