Welcome Quilter!

It looks like you’re new here. If you want to get involved, click on “Apply for Membership”.

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

In this Discussion

System needle failure
  • Hi. My Avante made a horrible noise, broke the needle and sent it flying across the room. I wasn't quilting seams, merely a piece of fabric. I was moving relatively slowly too. I checked everything. Cleaned everything. Put in a new needle but I'm still getting an error message, "system needle failure". Where is this sensor? Why won't it cycle off?
  • Try turning the machine off and back on. I hope it didn't mess up your timing . Mine occasionally gives me this error message
  • WhidbeyConnie,

When you get a "System Needle Failure" the first thing you need to do is turn off your machine. Carefully check the hook area and make sure that you don't have any threads caught in there. Using the hand wheel slowly move the hook around and watch very carefully. It does help to have two people to do this. After checking and cleaning any threads that you may find turn your machine back on and the message should be gone.

Rethread your machine, test your stitching and make sure it is working properly. If you find that your machine is not stitching properly you may have to have your machine re-timed.

Good luck,

Cheryl Duncan
    Handi Quilter Studio Educator

• Well it seems that the needle fell out, broke off a bit which was found in the bobbin case. I've had it retimed. I took the machine to the tech/dealer and they set it on their frame. They quilted just fine. Got it home (was away for a few days) and now I'm skipping stitches with any sweep to the left. I've made the rounds...thread, tension, clean, oil, sandwich, cleaned some more, changed thread and turned needle as far a s 5 isn. Still skipping stitches to the left but starts to straighten out when going right. Timing again?
  • Thanks too to the Webmaster. I was having trouble getting back on the forum and he was very prompt when I needed him! (or her?).
  • WhidbeyConnie,

I am sorry that you are still having problems with your machine. It sounds like the timing is not set correctly. Contact the place you had it timed and tell them you are still having problems with your machine on your table.

You can try rotating your needle toward 6:30 for skipping stitches and see if this will help for now.

Good luck,

Cheryl Duncan
    Handi Quilter Studio Educator