Quilting Elevated: 2016 Handi Quilter’s Academy
June 8 to 11, 2016
at the Davis Conference Center, Layton, UT
Early-bird registration (before March 31, 2016): $1,195
Regular registration: $1,295
Space is limited, so register today!
New this year:
- HQ Pro-Stitcher intermediate classes using the new simulation mode (bring your own laptop or Pro-Stitcher tablet)
- Full Art & Stitch track, plus optional Art & Stitch Boot Camp, up to 25 hours of Art & Stitch instruction. And you don’t need to own a Handi Quilter machine to take advantage of this educational opportunity!
- Handi Quilter Sampler (tutorial round robin of six instructors)
What’s included with your 2016 Handi Quilter’s Academy registration?
- Top-notch classes by HQ studio educators, HQ national educators, and HQ ambassadors Kim Brunner and Helen Godden.
- More than sixty classes to choose from, including:
- Nine HQ Sweet Sixteen hands-on classes (sit-down free-motion quilting)
- Nine HQ Pro-Stitcher hands-on classes
- Nine HQ Pro-Stitcher lecture-demo classes using the new simulation mode
- Nine longarm (HQ Avanté) hands-on classes
- Eighteen lecture demo classes applicable to any HQ quilting machine*
- Nine Art & Stitch classes
Maximize your time at Quilting Elevated by taking advantage of the lecture demo classes and then practice at home on your own machine. We agree that hands-on classes are terrific. However, our educators are able to deliver more content during a lecture-demo class than they can during a hands-on class. Unlike a hands-on class, you don’t need to wait for everyone in the class to complete the exercise before moving on. Therefore, you’ll get the most out of Quilting Elevated by selecting a good mix of both lecture-demo and hands-on classes. This year each participant may select up to 12 hours of hands-on instruction (six hands-on classes).
- Handi Quilter Tutorial Sampler and Opening Reception, Wednesday, June 8: Start your education at the Handi Quilter Sampler, comprising tutorials from six different Handi Quilter educators over the course of 90 minutes, 5:00 to 6:30 PM. Then enjoy a welcome buffet starting at 6:30 PM.
- General session on Thursday, June 9, beginning at 8:30 AM, with featured speaker Bruce Magidson, Sew Batik. Learn about the fascinating ancient Indonesian process for making beautiful batik fabrics.
- Breakfast and lunch on Thursday, June 9 and Friday, June 10; breakfast on Saturday, June 11.
- Ultimate snack experience (you’ll think you’re on a cruise ship!)
- Banquet dinner on Friday, June 10, 6:00 to 9:00 PM, featuring keynote presentation by Kimmy Brunner, an award-winning quilting teacher: Grandma’s girl: The Story of Three Quilters.
- PLUS: Vendor showcase shopping area, goody bag and door prizes, and special discounts on Handi Quilter products
Optional activities during Handi Quilter’s Academy:
- Wednesday, June 8, 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM: Handi Quilter’s Boot Camp
- Thursday, June 9, 5:30 to 10:30 PM: Downtown SLC excursion, with dinner at the renowned Lion House [more information]
- Thursday, June 9, 5:30 to 9:30 PM: Shop Hop to fabulous Davis County, Utah quilt shops [more information]
- Thursday, June 9, 5:30 to 8:30 PM: Great Salt Lake and Antelope Island tour and picnic (bison sighting guaranteed) [more information]
You'll want to make Handi Quilter's Academy an annual event!
Handi Quilter hands-on boot camps
Jumpstart your Handi Quilter’s Academy experience by attending one of the one-day Handi Quilter boot camps. When combined with Handi Quilter’s Academy, you’ll receive more than 25 hours of instruction – not to mention make great friends, enjoy some great food, and get rejuvenated!
- Are you a new machine owner and want to make sure that you know all of the basics about your quilting machine or HQ Pro-Stitcher before attending HQA?
- Do you want a refresher on the basics of using your HQ quilting machine or HQ Pro-Stitcher?
- Have you always wanted to learn the basics directly from the HQ educators?
- Do you want to maximize your use of Art & Stitch through education?
If you answered yes to any of these questions, then you’ll want to consider one of the hands-on boot camps:
- HQ longarm machines (taught on the HQ Avanté)
- HQ sit-down machines (taught on the HQ Sweet Sixteen)
- HQ Pro-Stitcher
- Art & Stitch (bring your laptop for a hands-on experience)
The boot camps will be held on Wednesday, June 8. Space in the boot camps is limited. Your $400 class fee includes meals, snacks, class materials, and great instruction by HQ educators.
Who should attend Handi Quilter’s Academy?
- • Anyone who already has a Handi Quilter machine and wants to finish more quilts
- Anyone considering the purchase of a Handi Quilter longarm quilting machine or HQ Pro-Stitcher — try before you buy (and then take advantage of Handi Quilter’s Academy show pricing)
- Handi Quilter reps who want to improve their own skills
- Anyone who wants to become proficient in using Art & Stitch
Davis Conference Center